Contract Public Defender
The City of Olympia is accepting applications for two contract public defenders to represent indigent defendants in the Olympia Municipal Court. Position one is a 280 case credit max position with an opportunity to carry a misdemeanor/gross misdemeanor caseload. Position two is a 300 case credit max position with primary focus on working as an attorney of the day in community court, appear on the out of custody arraignment calendar, and carry an adjusted misdemeanor/gross misdemeanor caseload.
Applicants must be a member in good standing with the Washington State Bar Association with a minimum of five years criminal defense experience. Experience handling public defense cases is preferred. Contract period for both positions run from January 1st, 2019 through December 31st, 2019, with a possible option to renew.
The flat rate monthly compensation for position one is anticipated to be based on the following scale: 280 case credits/year=$5,786.66/month.
The flat rate monthly compensation for position two is anticipated to be based on the following scale: 300 case credits/year=$6,200/month.
Public defender must be able to meet caseload standards and quarterly certification. Public defenders work closely with the Public Defense Coordinator. Caseload tracking and reporting to the city is required.
- Cover letter, resume, and 3 references must be received no later than Friday November 16th, 2018.
- Please indicate in your cover letter whether consideration for position one, two, or both are desired.
- Applicants will be notified of interviews by Tuesday November 20th, 2018.
- Interviews will take place the week of November 26th, 2018.
- Only online applications will be accepted.
For questions please call Diane Whaley, Public Defense Coordinator, at 360-753-8057