ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
A BIAW Associate General Counsel provides a variety of legal services for the Association under the direction of and reporting to the General Counsel. Providing the essential activities for the Association and possessing all the key competencies, the position of Associate General Counsel works in collaboration with Association staff to provide a legal support to the Association and its membership.
• Serving as an attorney for the Association; research legal issues, review contracts, review and draft internal policies, and litigate matters (including but not limited to amicus briefs) in collaboration with and under the direction of the General Counsel.
• Provide legal support to the staff of the Member Services Corporation Return on Industrial Insurance Program (ROII) by answering questions regarding inspection and citation involving the interpretation of laws, rules, procedures or documents; preparing and updating a document that provides general legal guidance on inspection and citation issues for the use of ROII staff and members.
• Support Association staff assigned to monitor agency rulemaking by reviewing proposed and final rules that may impact members and by drafting new proposed rules or amendments for consideration.
• Draft and review bill language during session and interim and attend meetings regarding legislation.
• Coordinate with and assist outside counsel for matters and litigation (including amicus briefs) involving the Association and coordinate with Association partners in collaboration with and under the direction of the General Counsel.
• Perform legal and general research and independently draft legal briefs, legal research memorandums and rule review memorandums in collaboration with and under the direction of the General Counsel; draft Amicus Briefs to submit to Court of Appeals and/or Supreme Court on issues of interest to the housing industry in collaboration with and under the direction of the General Counsel.
• Attend Association board and committee meetings, serve as the primary point of contact for and assist with the coordination of the BIAW Health Care Committee; conduct legal research requested by the committee; assist the General Counsel in planning and coordination of the BIAW Legal Committee.
• Assist the General Counsel in evaluation of applications for legal assistance from members and other parties.
• Respond to member calls on a variety of legal subjects (liens, contracts, employment issues, etc.); provide members with answers to general legal questions.
• Ability to rapidly develop sufficient subject-matter knowledge to provide accurate, useful, and understandable information and reliable legal advice. • Ability to quickly process and distill information in order to provide advice to Association staff and management
• Ability to work independently and with others; use good judgment in evaluating situations; maintain confidentiality; perform legal research thoroughly and efficiently.
• Highly developed ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with colleagues and association members.
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
• Must be admitted to practice as a member of the Washington State Bar
• 1-5 years legal experience
• Experience/knowledge of the legislative process
• Specific legal knowledge/experience in the following issue areas: land use; permitting; growth management; contracts; construction law; state regulation
Position Annual Salary Range
• $60,000 to $80,000
To apply, send resume, letter, and any supporting documents to:
General Counsel Building Industry Association of Washington
111 21st Avenue SW Olympia, WA 98501